Kali is located in the southern part of the Ugljan island and has, according to the last census, 1638 inhabitants. They are the largest place in the Zadar archipelago. Kali was first mentioned in 1299, but archeological finds date back to ancient times.
Kali is very well connected. During the season, ferries run to the mainland from the neighboring town Preko ten to eighteen times a day, while the ferry line connects the island with the center of Zadar. It is connected to the neighboring island of Pašman by the beautiful bridge Ždrelac, from which the view spreads on one side to the Zadar channel and on the other side towards the Kornati.
Kali is the place of the most famous fishermen on the Adriatic, who specialize in catching tuna and blue fish in general. Many have fished on foreign ships in the Pacific, the Atlantic and beyond. Today the Kali's fishing fleet consists of about thirty modern ships.
In addition to fishing, mariculture stands out - cage farming of sea bream, sea bass and tuna, which is almost exclusively intended for the Japanese market. Also, the service sector is growing, especially the tourism and trade sector, which together make Kali an attractive small town with lots of urban facilities.
Agricultural production is oriented towards olive growing. About 100.000 trees have been planted and between 30.000 and 40.000 are being actively worked on. Olive growers are gathered in the agricultural association Maslina Kali, which includes a modern oil mill.
Every year during the tourist season, Kali's fishermen organize the Kali Fishermen's Night - a fishing festival, specific for the parade of fishing boats on the Zadar channel according to the model "Come and enjoy! You are all invited and we will treat you with a good traditional Kali cuisine, fish, seafood, an excellent barbecue and good wine”.
Kali is a typical Dalmatian place with narrow streets and stone houses located on a hill, which was first mentioned in 1299. The single-nave baroque parish church of Sv. Lawrence built on the foundations of earlier buildings, as evidenced by traces and findings of the existence of an ancient building.
Chapel of St. Pelegrina is a Romanesque-Gothic church from the 14th century, located outside the place. Here was found one of a dozen pre-Romanesque pluteus preserved on the eastern Adriatic coast.
Also, the place Kali inherits the archeological site Orjak, where the remains of a hillfort from the Iron Age have been found.
Glagolitic, i.e. the tradition of active use of the Glagolitic alphabet, remained in the longest use in church books (until 1873) and the place has given 82 Glagolitic writers. Eight Glagolitic codices have been preserved in Župa, including 'Libar godov' - one of the oldest on the Adriatic islands. The 'Glagolitic Folk Sung Mass' is still sung on specific occasions.